Founded in the 11th century by Gardrad the Rich, lord of Jarnac, and his wife Rixende, the abbey is occupied by Benedictine monks of Saint-Cybard d'Angoulême before being attached to the clunisienne abbey of Saint-Jean-d 'Angély from 1095 to 1246.
It was at this time, in the thirteenth century, that the church was rebuilt in the 'West Gothic' style.
The abbey suffered the vicissitudes of the Hundred Years War, then the Wars of Religion in the sixteenth century.
Reformed by the Congregation of the Benedictines of Saint-Maur from 1666, the abbey is reborn from its ruins: the convent buildings around the cloister are rebuilt and the liturgical furniture of the church is enriched with remarkable pieces (rood screen, lectern, altarpiece).
Sold as a national asset after the French Revolution of 1789, the abbey is used as a farm and is once again experiencing a period of degradation and ruin. The church then knows a better fate because it becomes parish.
In 1947, the Congregation of the Missionary Brothers of Sainte-Thérèse became the owner, revived the places and restored them.
Since the departure of the religious Congregation at the end of 2012, the site is managed by the Association of Friends of Bassac Abbey and the Diocese of Angoulême.
The abbey is the subject of a project of reconversion in cultural and spiritual center with a hotel pole of monastic spirit.