« In the French Vexin, less than 70km from Paris, this historic monument elated on the plans of Jules Hardouin Mansart is a pure example of the French style of the late 17th century built in 1689, at the request of Guillaume Aubourg, the first Marquess of Boury. »
It is mentioned for the first time in the history of France at the time of the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte in 911. Boury later participated, through the centuries, in the history of the Vexin and the families who succeeded each other by alliances.
In the middle of the 17th century, the Barony of Boury belonged to Guillaume Aubourg, Advisor to the King, Guard of the Roles of the Offices and Grand Audiencier of France. The old fortress, transformed into a Manor by the graces of the Renaissance, does not, however, correspond to the taste of the Great Century for new monuments, under the impetus of the Sun King.
Guillaume Aubourg, who became by letter patent from Louis XIV, Marquis de Boury, enlisted the help of Jules Hardouin-Mansart for the plans for the new castle. Work began in 1685 and was completed in 1689. All the ornamentation of the facades is entrusted to Thibault Poissant who collaborated at Versailles.
The house remained family property except for some fifty years in the 19th century, at the end of which Hubert-Edouard Zentz d'Alnois was able to acquire the castle and bring it back into the family via his wife, great-granddaughter of the last Lord. Boury.
The castle today
The 45-minute guided tour inside the castle gives the privileged impression of penetrating the family intimacy.
The castle, furnished and inhabited, belongs today to the descendants of those who built it and embellished it through the generations, retaining its character as a family home.
My castle is visitable
The Castle will be open for visitors from 2.30pm to 6pm on Sundays and public holidays from April 21 to October 13, 2019.
As well as every day (except Tuesday) in August 2019.