The castle today
The first castle was ruined by the war of hundred years and rebuilt in 1579 in 1581 by Barthole of MONCEL, with a wing controlled two big highlights and bastion square pavilions. Of the medieval structures that could survive, he held that the Dungeon. He was then surrounded by moats and swamps. From 1820 to 1867, one of his descendants, the count Alexander of MONCEL, Maréchal de camp, and peer of France, restored to make it habitable and flung it four towers; In addition, he suppressed the moat and dried swamps.
In 1867, he was sold to the Baron Arthur de SCHICKLER, banker to the Royal family of Prussia in Berlin, which transformed it into NeoGothic Castle by the addition of a medieval Gallery North and a wing of the same building style that connected the Dungeon to the construction of the 16th century. The architect of this transformation was the Englishman William Henry WHITE who had made many buildings in Paris and had also rebuilt the Château de BIZY at Vernon on behalf of Baron Fernand de SCHICKLER, brother of Arthur.
In 1944, the construction of the 16th century was entirely burned by a firebomb English while an American fan bomb destroyed half of the NeoGothic wing built in the 19th century. Immediately after the war, the Countess Hubert Pourtalès, daughter of the Baron Arthur SCHICKLER, separated from the ruins the NeoGothic wing still intact, but it took acquisition in 1962 the Castle by her grandson, count Christian of POURTALÈS-SCHICKLER, to see first begin in 1967 the restoration of the castle is 16th wing, then from 1995, the construction of a Gallery link to connect this wing with the intact part of the 19th century castle.
It's as well as the castle of MARTINVAST found little by little its former glory, while its surroundings are also the object of constant care, like a jewel in a green setting. Across from the old Castle sixteenth door view on the obelisk, which was probably built by the Alexander County of MONCEL for him serve as a gazebo. Designed to be seen from afar, it is exeption high; its four triangular faces are drilled to resemble those of the fermeecole oculi, a staircase to climb. Further to the East, you can see between the trees of the Park, the ruins of the former windmill, which has unfortunately lost its roof and wings.