Castle of Morteau

52700, Le Village de Morteau, Cirey-lès-Mareilles
  • Visitable

« Located in Champagne-Ardenne region, 15 km from Chaumont (prefecture) and 228 km of Paris, Morteau, Gothic and medieval castle is an invitation to travel back in time until the XVI century. Deeply troubled by the wars of Religion, this former stronghold has been the refuge of several Lordships and Knights. It is now regularly used for filming of the movie. »

History

It all began in 1594, when the Squire Nicolas of high returns to Chaumont after a perilous pilgrimage over a year to Jerusalem where he was made Knight of the Holy Sepulchre.
Born into a chaumontais family and the King's Prosecutor, he allied himself to the powerful family Rose by marrying Marguerite, niece of the trace Bishop Guillaume Rose. It lacks more than a land and a castle. He acquired the lordship of Morteau in 1596 and built the fortified House which is still today. The main building surrounded by four towers testifies not only to the power of the new Lord, he reminds the defensive function of this strong House, attested by the thick studded door surmounted a bretèche, the loopholes in the lower parts of the towers the windows of shooting or barred grids on the West façade. The edict of Nantes is not yet signed, the region remains unstable and easy prey to looters. Morteau defends and resist in the 17th century, there where the old village of Morteau, is permanently destroyed by Swedish mercenaries of war of thirty years ( [xxxxxxx] ).
However, Lord of Chaumont is bit attached to the luxury and the pleasures of the world. The interior décor is sober, little affected by the refinements of the Renaissance. The vaulted ground floor rooms are Spartan and monastic. Animated by a deep faith, Lord of Morteau leaves several testimonies of piety as the narrative of his pilgrimage to Jerusalem (preserved today in the reserve of the National Library) or building at the top of the entrance of a chapel Tower domestic, consecrated in 1599 by Guillaume Rose, and on the walls of which we see even today the murals dedicated to the Virgin and Saint Charles Borromeo, who was particularly illustrated during the plague of Milan in 1576.

The castle today

Thus, over the centuries, the Castle tells forces and uncertainties of his time, the taste of power, violence, faith.
Later, in the last third of the eighteenth, the austere Morteau will be taken in hand by a count of Beaujeu, that will seek to give him another face and make it truly a castle.

My castle is visitable

Opening times: April to June from Saturday to Monday for holiday weekends (Easter, 1st and 8 may, Pentecost, ascension) and on Sundays 11.18 and June 25.
From July 14 to 18 September: open every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and public holidays (14 July and 15 August). Free visit from 13 h to 19 h (outside only) guided tour at 4 pm (inside and outside).
Rates: Ad: €5 - 10/17 years: €3


  • Phone
  • Mail address
  • Identity Card / Passport
  • Already rent

Spoken languages: French