"Welcome to the castle of Ars, mansion 30 minutes from Lyon and 10 minutes from Villefranche sur Saone.
A peaceful stopover for business, a poetic world for an authentic wedding, a cocoon of greenery for a night ...
The charm of the old stones operates in this place restored with taste, with history more than 9 centuries old. Conviviality, authenticity and well-being are the watchwords of the castle; rooms, lounges and lodgings impress with their architecture, their furniture and their decoration.
2.5 hectare park with century-old trees, chapel dating from the eighteenth century, facades in golden stones Beaujolais, atypical courtyard ... add to the beauty of the place.
Furnished upmarket, with spacious and bright rooms, the chateau accommodations are tastefully decorated and offer wonderful views of the park. "
A first fortified house, surmounted by a dungeon now disappeared, was erected on a mound of land a "poype" (mound castrale Dombes.) This strong house depended on the principality of Sires de Villars.The castle is belted moats that today define its park.
In terms of construction, the facade has retained its architectural unity, by the use of the famous "carrons" (thick brick) The earth is molded, dried and cooked in an oven called "carronnière". This massive material used during the construction of large feudal domains (castles and ramparts), is very resistant to shocks, frost, and its manufacture is easy for the protection of the fortifications. The built earth and pebbles, widely used in Dombes, were used most of the time in the basement of the walls of houses and in the walls of fence. The oldest technique of laying "the opus spicatum" (on the ear of wheat or "fishbone") is an alternation of bricks, carrons, pebbles, used to isolate the adobe wall from moisture and decorate the facades.
A reconstruction of facades with renovation Renaissance style occurs late thirteenth and early fourteenth with suppression loopholes, alternating stones and red bricks. The mullioned windows are still visible on the east, north and inner courtyard facades. In 1732 an outdoor chapel was built in the park (under renovation).
A second partial demolition took place during the Revolution in 1789. Lack of the original materials, the reconstruction took place in golden stones of Beaujolais. The medieval tomettes are preserved with restoration of the grounds of the 3 rooms of honor overlooking the park. The corner living room (called Jean Marie Vianney since 2010) is dressed with a rhombus parquet wood of different species. The hall and adjoining reception room are equipped with clay tiles mixed with red and yellow. The dominant geometrical figure remains the rhombus. Medieval interior architecture disappears behind English woodwork (pre-existing stone vaults in some cupboards). The main staircase has a structure composed of stones and alternating bricks and arranged in fishbone as in the inner courtyard surmounted by vault whose sandstones still bear the initial of their tailor.
The Salon du Levant has a French living room since its origin and the Dungeon Lounge, the oldest part raised on cellar, includes a desk inlaid in the woodwork made in 1827 for the needs of Prosper Garnier Garets d'Ars, become mayor of this commune, contemporary of the Saint Curé of Ars.