La Villedieu de Comblé castle

79800, La Mothe-Saint-Héray
  • Visitable

Introduction

XVth century castle (strong house designed to resist the English), remodeled in the 16th and 17th century and then in the 19th century. 15th century porch. Bridge built in 1577 and rebuilt in 1889 on the plans of Victor Surreaux, in the style of the seventeenth century. Commons built in the seventeenth century.

History and famous characters

In the Middle Ages, La Villedieu de Comblé belongs to Jean de Curzay, The lordship passes to the family Andrault then to the family GILLIER who kept the castle for nearly 3 centuries, and by marriage to the family of AITZ MESMY. In 1698, Louis XIV erected the chatellenie of Villedieu in marquisate.

From Roman times a fortified building exists at the Villedieu de Comblé. In the 13th century appears an imposing dungeon flanked by a dwelling. In 1580, Claude Gillier, decided to rebuild the medieval castle in a residence of Italian Renaissance style consisting of two wings in return for square. The south facade consists of a gallery with five low arch arches and three floors with three mullioned windows on each floor. The decoration of this facade is made up of the frieze of heads seen from the front. From 1876; Mr. RICHARD, have the remains of the donjon and the west wing cut down. In the place of the donjon he built a building, advancing three meters on the main facade which continues the decoration of the frieze.

On the East facade runs in capitals of the 16th century the motto of the castle of Villedieu de Comblé:

SY - PEV - NOTHING - DAULTRVY

The current outbuildings were begun by Joseph Gillier and completed in 1677. The purity of the architectural lines, the volumes of the building and the luxury of sculptures and ornaments deployed for utility buildings constitute a unique ensemble in the region.

My castle is visitable

For more information contact the owner

Member since

  • Phone
  • Mail address
  • Identity Card / Passport
  • Already rent

Spoken languages: French