In the Loire Valley, Nitray has been a wine estate since the 15th century.
Its castle, which dates from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, is on the banks of the Cher and is surrounded by a park of 43 hectares, drawn in English under the 1st Empire.
History and famous characters
Its evolution is linked to the History of France because it is Aimery Lopin, Mayor of Tours then Master of the requests of Louise of Savoy, herself mother of François 1st, which ordered the construction of this castle.
Seventeen families will succeed each other since the construction of the castle, including the family of the General of Empire Jean-Jacques Liébert, from 1807 to 1922.
On October 1, 1955, the property is sold on seizure at the request of Georges-Marie Dermy pursuing Mr. Taillandier, industrial residing in Cameroon, which it seems he had not paid the entire purchase made in 1953. The price was made at the price of 14,500,000 old francs by auction at public auction. For lack of purchaser the property is bought on October 17, 1955 by Brebart d'Halluin family. Etienne d'Halluin works on the first renovation works: the roof of the castle and hunting lodge, then reorganizes the vineyard to 15 hectares.
Since 1989, Count Hubert de L'Espinay, son-in-law of Monsieur and Madame d'Halluin, has continued the work of his father-in-law by transforming the marketing of wine in bottles rather than in bulk, by improving the vinification and creating two other activities to make the domain's revenues more profitable: a tourist activity and a room rental activity.
Today Nitray Castle welcomes 8,000 visitors a year, mainly foreign and French tourists, as well as business seminars, family receptions such as wedding, birthday, family reunion, etc
My castle is visitable
Visit of the chapel, the fruit tree, the dovecote of the cellars, the bread oven and the gardens. A tasting of the wines of the property will be proposed to you as well as a projection of film on Tonnelerie.
Open from January to June and from September to December from 10 am to 7 pm, free visit with a brochure at the entrance. WE on appointment.
From June to September open every day
Visits for groups are by appointment all year round