Originally was a defensive manor house that was replaced in the Renaissance by the castle we know today.
This stronghold arrived in the family of Faur at the wedding of Causide Doulce with Pierre du Faur. At his death Causide's father passed the castle and the title of lord of Pibrac to his son-in-law. This is how the castle of Pibrac returned to the family of Faur never to leave it.
In 1540, Pierre du Faur decided to replace the old manor with a state residence and entrusted the building site to the famous Toulouse architect Nicolas Bachelier.
It was at this time that the castle of Pibrac was born Guy du Faur de Pibrac, lord of Pibrac and Chancellor of the Queen of Navarre and the Duke of Anjou. He will also receive the two queens of France, Catherine de Medici and Margueritte de Navarre, at the castle of Pibrac in 1578.
During the French Revolution, the Countess de Pibrac was alone in watching over the castle in 1790 after her grandson was guillotined in Toulouse at just 20 years old. She died four years later when part of the family settled in one of his other fiefs, Castle Cormont. The Castle of Pibrac is then looted, the hammered sculptures and the towers discouraged by revolutionaries. It then remains abandoned for nearly 80 years before one of the descendants, Anatole du Faur, Polytechnician, archaeologist from Orleans and free student of the School of Chartres, decided to return to Pibrac to restore and return its old chandelier at the family's original castle. After the death of Anatole, his eldest son, Robert du Faur, took over by conducting a second major restoration campaign between 1886 and 1898 to make the castle this time habitable and equipped with modern comforts (electricity, heating and running water). ). When he died, his younger brother Raoul du Faur, a painter and pupil of the famous Ingres, finished the work and furnished the castle.
At the beginning of the 2nd World War, the castle of Pibrac, in free zone, did not suffer from the pangs of the war. During these times only the Countess de Pibrac occupied the premises, because her husband Raoul had died well before the war. In early 1944 a Wehrmacht officer wanted to requisition the castle to make it a home for officers of the German army, the Countess resisted and forbade the Germans to stay in the castle, she finally granted them, under duress, dependencies. In 1945 the Countess dies without news of her two son prisoners in Germany since 1940, she died in 1945.
Until the end of the 20th century, the castle was inhabited by Raoul's great-grandson, Pierre du Faur, his wife Simone and his 5 children. When Pierre died in 2000, his eldest son Guy du Faur took over the property. Thus, at the beginning of the twenty-first century the castle of Pibrac still belongs to the family of Faur.
The castle today
Even today, the castle remains the family home of the Faur de Pibrac, in which he finds himself for the holidays.
It is now the grandson of Pierre, Arnault who took over the management of the castle. Not wishing to question the function of family home, the desire to develop an activity in the event (wedding and seminar) appears the right solution to balance the heavy maintenance of the castle.
My castle is visitable