« Since the sale of the estate by Jean-François Gallucio at the Hospital, the Castle passes from hand to hand. Far from the great feudal lords, the owners are rather senior officials who come to the country houses. During the revolution, the marquis de Perthuis, domain owner, refuses to give up the home, thus protecting it from the ransacking and looting of the revolutionaries. Today the castle belongs to the family of fire M. Gaston Cousin, architect of the bridge Alexandre III. »
An enchanting place for your private receptions, the Château de Nandy was built in 1660 by the Duke of Vitry. It is 40 kms from Paris by the A6.
Nestled in lush greenery: park, pond, pond, lawns and paths lined with ancient trees where stone benches invite you to a pose of collecting with nature.
Inside, the large living room with its tall windows and sumptuous oak paneling is worthy of the most beautiful homes in France.
The castle today
A story often fertile in dramas, always rich in lessons. Geoffroy de Nandy accompanies Philippe Auguste to the crusade, and date are testament of Saint Jean d'Acre in 1191; in the 14th century, Queen Jeanne d'Evreux, widow of Charles IV the Fair owns the stronghold of Nandy that his daughter Blanche, Duchess of Orleans, bequeaths by will to the abbey of Pont-aux-Dames. The fief depended on the abbey until the Revolution. It is in the fourteenth century that the land of Nandy falls to the family in whose hands it will remain the longest: the Galluccio de l'Hospital. These Italian immigrants ally early to the largest houses in France. The blood of our marshals seems to attract them, since Adrien marries a Rouault de Gamaches and François a La Chatre. They enjoy the confidence of the kings they serve as butchers at the court or as bailiffs in the provinces. Their domain is rounded off in Brie where they possess besides Nandy, Vitry, Nogent and Coubert. Early in the morning, a castle rises in Nandy, ravaged during the wars of religion by the armed bands that roam the region. When the country finally regains peace, at the advent of Henry IV, the Castle Hospital seems to have been nothing but ruins. Whoever relieves him, Louis is just one of the captains who have contributed most to quell the troubles. A clever man, he serves his interests well at the same time as those of France. Ligueur and even Governor of Meaux for the League; as soon as Henri IV abjured Protestantism, he rallied to him one of the first and gave him Meaux. The king's favor rewards him and he becomes captain of the bodyguards. His great situation allows him to rebuild the Castle of his fathers about as we see it today, but he died young in 1611. Under the heirs of Louis, his widow first, Françoise de Brichanteau, then his eldest son Nicolas, the Castle gains in brilliance. Nicolas having rid Louis XIII of the insolent Concini, becomes Maréchal de France, he fights the Protestants and the Spaniards but his brutal humor serves him. Governor of Provence, he has an altercation with the Archbishop of Bordeaux, Sourdis, Chief of the Councils of the King in the naval army, that he treats of "cagot", "breviaire" and that he sticks. Richelieu recalls him and sends him to stay in the Bastille, but the King forgives him, he is made duke and has the honor to receive Louis XIII in his castle of Nandy on October 15, 1642. The son of Nicolas, François-Marie, abandoning Nandy, finally alienates it in 1664. From then on, the estate passes into the hands of several families, the most famous being that of La Vieuville. In 1789, Lucien-Julien, Marquis of Perthuis is Lord, Gentleman enlightened, he protects agriculture and refuses to emigrate. Also the castle escapes the looting and, under the empire, the marquis becomes mayor of the commune, his descendants resell it in 1850. Nandy is today the property of the small children of the late Mr. Gaston Cousin on the plans of which was built Alexander III bridge. Time and men have respected the work of Louis de l'Hospital. At the end of the main courtyard, the main facade that the documents allow to date with certainty of the very first years of the seventeenth century and where the stone mixes with the brick, recalls the contemporary constructions of Fontainebleau. Louis's successors flanked it with circular and low-rise buildings linking it to two pavilions of the same style. A balustrade adorned with vases and statues closes the main courtyard, which is accessed between lawns by a long path preceded by an imposing gate. The facade, also from the beginning of the 17th century, looks at a park that is decorated with a pond fed by living water. Where lawns now extend between groves was laid out a French garden with a plan dating back to the seventeenth century and kept in the castle can restore the grandeur and noble design. The north facade, remodeled in the late seventeenth century is built of stone. Tradition attributes it to Mansard. The interior of the castle does not offer at the sight of the visitor the sumptuous rooms of the guards or the ceremonial galleries where old feudal lords were more fond of. In the Ile-de-France, and from the seventeenth century, the great lords, servants of the royal master who reigns ten leagues from here, are more modest. Nandy is home to the fields of senior officials who come to relax. Yet the large living room on the ground floor with its five tall windows and sumptuous wood paneling. solid oak is worthy of the most beautiful houses in France, and when Louis XIII came to visit the Marshal of Vitry, he must have felt less at ease there than in the rooms of Fontainebleau or Saint-Germain. The son of Louis XIII has been there for many years. Above the fireplace, painted by Lebrun, Louis XIV, in court costume and among his family, welcomed a religious who presented him the model of a convent. But the humble brother having probably already finished his compliment, the king ceases to pay attention to him so that all the way to the front, he seems to preside over the meetings of today which are held at his feet. Perfectly in harmony with this noble décor, the grand staircase is adorned with a wrought-iron gate and an expiring warrior statue. But art lovers will have a thing for the 18th century stucco panels depicting hunting trophies that come from the Bourret Pavilion and adorn an anti-room on the first floor. The wars and the Revolution could not come to the end of this edifice; it arises from oblivion, living testimony of a past of legends and history