« Welcome at La Baronnière ! La Baronnière is a family estate in a green setting in the heart of the Mauges. The castle of the XIXth century, built near the ruins of the castle of the Vendean general Bonchamps, is surrounded by a magnificent romantic park, a vegetable garden which gives priority to biodiversity, a courtyard of 17th century and a chapel where the Arnous-Rivière and their descendants still celebrate family events. La Baronnière is a privileged place for celebrations, calm and serenity. You will find here a deep and soothed sleep. Anne and Olivier du Boucheron welcome you with passion. »
The Baronnière is a private estate in a green setting in the heart of the Mauges (Anjou). Anne and Olivier of the Boucheron live on-site. troubadour neogothic, the castle of the Baronnière is the first of the castles of the architect René Hodé to have been a historical monument, in 1995. The whole area is being a major restoration since 2009.
In 1626, the field returned to Bonchamps family of which the last and most famous owner is the general of the war of Vendée, the marquis Charles-Melchior-Arthus de Bonchamps. Mortally wounded in 1793, he gracie 5,000 Republican prisoners (gesture immortalized by the sculptor David d'Angers in the monastic Church of St Florent-le-old).
Living in Nantes, Jean-Joseph Arnous River bought the estate to the widow of Bonchamps in 1801. His son Jules-Armand built a new Castle, a chapel and renovate the Park. Anne of the Boucheron is a descendant of Arnous River.
The Castle | 19th C.
The Renaissance Castle was burnt down in 1793 by Bonchamps. The current Castle was built between 1852 and 1856 to a few tens of meters from the former. It was designed by architect René Hodé, creator of the troubadour revival style.
The square courtyard (la cour carrée) 17th C.
Very nice together with elements of the 17th century and a few changes of the 19th century, the square courtyard was listed in the supplementary inventory of Historic Monuments (ISMH) in 1993. Its restoration began in 2010.
The Chapel | 19th C.
Gothic Revival style, it was built in 1842 from the Tower of the ancient castle and joined the additional inventory of Historic Monuments (ISMH) in 1993. It is still used for family religious ceremonies.
The vegetable garden | 21st C.
Composed of 150 species of plants including 500 varieties, this garden extends over more than 3,000 m2 in a semicircle. It was designed by the owners in 2011 to the site of the former. It is decorated with an old greenhouse, an old well and a pond.
The park | 19th C..
By 1838, Jules-Armand and Ernestine Arnous Rivière are set by André Leroy, main french nurseryman and designer pioneer of parks in Anjou, a project very close to final completion. He created a new landscape, using remarkably the characteristics of the hillside surrounded by the river fever with a long perspective on the landscape. Very fine trees remain. The Park has been rated picturesque Park in 1993 and is the subject of restoration work.
My castle is visitable
La Baronnière is closed to individual visits, except during the public events.
Group visits | 15 to 100 people.
We offer guided tours of about 2 hours, from 7 € (History or garden) to 10 €/person (History and garden). Free visit : 5 €/person. Possibility of a meal (price according to the options for the menu and the wine). Free entrance for children under 12 and people with disabilities. Possibility of a snack or a seated meal (price according to the options for the menu and the wine).
La Baronnière is open to groups of hikers, runners, bikers etc. who wish to cross the property (under the responsibility of the organizers). Sport groups should be scheduled at least two months in advance. Price : 0,50 €/person.
PUBLIC EVENTS : Hundreds of visitors come each year to discover La Baronnière and its garden during the Journées européennes du patrimoine/Heritage days on September and the Rendez-vous aux jardins/Meeting in gardens on June under the aegis of the French Culture minister. Paid entry, free for children under 12 & people with disabilities.